Thursday, August 30, 2007

TO YOU MY FRIEND




I was in the process of writing a post about summer, this one specifically, all the great times, drunken days to drunken nights to drunken days again, the misadventures, encounters, and fun you could and we did have in this city of Brooklyn we hold so dear (Sometimes we even crossed those Bridges). Then I received a letter that I thought my mail man had placed accidently into my mailbox seeing as it was addressed to Alcohol. Since I’m from Brooklyn and not afraid of some Fed time, “What’s that 3 years your honor? I can do that standing on my head, you got some more?” So I opened Alcohols mail and read it, and now that I have I don’t believe it was a mistake I think the scribe of this letter sent it as a petition letter that said scribe wanted all of us to sign and gave me the honor of being the first John Doe to leave my drunken X. Here is OUR letter to our dear ol’ friend Alcohol; we hope it finds him better than he left us.

Dear Alcohol,

First and foremost, let me tell you that I'm a huge fan of yours.

As my friend, you always seem to be there when needed. The perfect post-work cocktail, a beer at the game, and you're even around at the holidays (hidden inside chocolates as you warm us when we're stuck in the midst of endless family gatherings).

However, lately I've been wondering about your intentions. While I want to believe that you have my best interests at heart, I feel that your influence has led to some unwise consequences:

1. Phone Calls and text messages: While I agree with you that communication is important, I question the suggestion that any conversation after 2 a.m. can have much substance or necessity. Why would you make me call my ex's? Especially when I know, for a fact, they DO NOT want to hear from me during the day, let alone all hours of the night.

2. Eating: Now, you know I love a good meal. But, why do you suggest that I eat a taco with chili sauce along with a big Italian meatball and some stale chips (washed down with wine & topped off with a Kit Kat AFTER a few cheese curls & chili cheese fries)? I'm an eclectic eater but, I think you went too far this time.

3. Clumsiness: Unless you're subtly trying to tell me that I need to do more yoga to improve my balance, I see NO need to hammer this issue home by causing me to fall down. It's completely unnecessary, and the black & blue marks that appear on my body mysteriously the next day are beyond me. Similarly, it should never take me more than 45 seconds to get the front door key into the lock.

4. Furthermore: The hangovers have GOT to stop! This is getting ridiculous. I know a little penance for our previous evenings debauchery may be in order. But, the 3 p.m. hangover immobility is completely unacceptable. My entire day is shot. I ask that if the proper precautions are taken (water, vitamin B, bread products, aspirin) prior to going to sleep/passing out (face down on the kitchen floor with a bag of popcorn or wherever). The hangover should be minimal and in no way interfere with my daily activities.

Alcohol, I have enjoyed our friendship for some years now and would like to ensure that we remain on good terms. You've been the invoker of great stories, the provocation for much laughter, and the needed companion when I just don't know what to do with the extra money in my pockets.

In order to continue this friendship, I ask that you carefully review my grievances above and address them immediately. I will look for an answer no later than next Friday 3 p.m. (pre happy hour) on your possible solutions. And hopefully we can continue this fruitful partnership.

Thank you,

Your Biggest Fans
GVG

P.S. Please take a moment or two and note the following items below that I think may be of some interest to you.

THINGS THAT ARE DIFFICULT TO SAY WHEN DRUNK:

1. Innovative
2. Preliminary
3. Proliferation
4. Cinnamon

THINGS THAT ARE VERY DIFFICULT TO SAY WHEN DRUNK:

1. Specificity
2. British Constitution
3. Passive-Aggressive Disorder

THINGS THAT ARE DOWNRIGHT IMPOSSIBLE TO SAY WHEN DRUNK:

1. Thanks, but I don't want to have sex.
2. Nope, no more beer for me.
3. Sorry, but you're not really my type.
4. Good evening, officer. Isn't it lovely out tonight?
5. Oh, I couldn't. No one wants to hear me sing!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

LOL! Are you sure I didn't write that letter? HILARIOUS. I am guilty of letting my friend, Alcohol, lead me to unwise consequences 1-4 and then some!

1. Too many drunken phone calls and texts to acknowledge

2. Eating bullshit during wee hours of the morning. fries with mayo sauces. white castle sliders. that is disgusting. . .but oh so good when Alcohol is around.

3. I know I weeve and wobble when our friend Alcohol is around, but you have never found me laid out on the sidewalks of Brooklyn! That is not to say that I haven't witnessed it though. . .hehehehe!

4. Most definitely when Alcohol has overstayed his welcome I always have to have extra water, hours of sleep and ample carbs.

Yes, this is admittedly a dysfunctional relationship. I think I'm going to visit with Alcohol this weekend. ;-P

I AM GVG® said...

You know that reminds me of this time a few years ago when i saw the cutest asian couple bombed on the curb and i thought shit thats a lifelong friendship with alcohol. You know what they say the family that drinks together...

GVG
~we're the warriors they write epics about~

ShareThis