Friday, July 20, 2007

PLEASE SWEAT THESE TECHNIQUES

Eric B & Rakim - Don't Sweat the Technique


I went to my girl Mec’s Birthday party last night at Bucarou, had a great time with a lot of old and new friends (DAMN WE KNOW A LOT OF THE SAME PEOPLE, LOL) got to check out a fly new twist on the photo booth that everyone was doing for a while with Portrait Parties and ate some of the best, seriously, the best soy chicken I have EVER had prepared by Dante’s Friend Chicken (Ayinde thanx for putting me on). While all this goodness was going on I noticed this guy with a plain white tee on that read in red and blue bold block letters “ERIC B FOR PRESIDENT” that T-shirt made me so happy, had me really cheesin and for the life of me I couldn’t figure out why, but I kept staring at it and every time I saw it I just had to smile. It wasn’t until my homegirl DJ Kiss played Rakim Allah then a Large Professor jam that I realized what it was, it’s the same feeling I got earlier that day as I watched a clip of THE QUEEN LATIFAH doing “U.N.I.T.Y” at the Pepsi DJ Battle at SOBs (GOD! WHY DIDN’T I GET INTO THE CAR WITH PRINCE AND GO TO THAT, HINDSIGHT IS A BITCH!), and the night before as I walked into Trace Magazine's "Black Girls Rule!” Issue release party at Room Service in a rather pissy mood “I’M RICK JAMES BITCH!” right as Kiss’s boyfriend my homie DJ. M.O.S. put on Eric B. and Rakim Allah’s power ballad “Don't Sweat The Technique” and in one swift turn of a record I was in the best mood and he made that crowd erupt like they all just got a $1,000,000 shopping spree, then went on to SHUTDOWN the club with the GANGSTA 90s set and had a room full of the fashion industries insiders and wannabes, who are the definitions of “TOO FLY TO DO ANYTHING BUT STAND THERE AND TRY AND LOOK FLY” go crazy, doing the whop, the running man, screaming at the top of their lungs and snapping pictures of someone other than themselves when “The Retro Kids” were doing what they do in the middle of the dance floor.

I realized I’ve allowed “Puff Daddy” to define what 90s “Hip Hop” meant to me, which in turn meant I had come to see the 90s as the death of Hip Hop, WWAAAYYY before Nas did, you may now refer to me as Nostradamus, except my batting average is so much better. However, with everyone and their momma going in hard with 90’s sets from Funk Master Flex 5 hour 90s Hip Hop SMACKDOWN (Which I’m blasting as I write this) , DJ M.O.S.’s Killa Hardcore sets in all the “IT” spots, which makes a voyeur like me SUPA-NUT at the comedy that is watching him GO IN HARD in a room full of little rich white kids as they scream out all the words to Onyx, Rakim Allah, and Das EFX (START TAPING YOUR DAMN SETS!), endless hours spent on Stretch Armstrong’s Konstant Kontakt Blog listening to old episodes of the Stretch Armstrong & Bobbito radio shows that truly was HIP HOP, if you name the artist they were on it back then, and all those so-called "DJs" you know who you are (Having a Mac Book Pro and Limewire does not make you a DJ, Please leave it to the professionals for all our listening pleasure, Thanx.) jumping on the bandwagon with no idea of how to transition from record to record, how do you have such great vinyl, my bad, great MP3s (GOD, WHAT HAS THE WORLD COME TO?!?!) and still can’t make a good well formulated set with some method to your madness. (YOU DON’T PLAY THAT AFTER THAT! SON, HOW DID HE GET THERE?!??!) it was with these recent reintroductions to REAL 90s HIP HOP, that I realized that 1. the 90s were the SHIT and I miss every min of it and 2. HIP HOP IS NOT DEAD, there is always good music out there if you are willing to look for it, F@$^ trash like “AY BAY BAY” (WHAT THE F##% IS THAT?!?!) because you can listen to Commons “The People” to give you that real Hip Hop fix we all need.

LONG LIVE HIP HOP!!!

GVG
~we’re the warriors they write epics about~

UPDATE

Some 7am insight to f#$^ with your head. Tell me if you think it's true, I damn sure know it's funny.

DJ M.O.S. said...
"why does eric b remind of silent bob"

3 comments:

DJ M.O.S. said...

wow, it's 7am and i'm up listening to music. can't believe you pull out the don't sweat the technique video. I'm still sweating that mutli colored cap Rakim had on. That video made me ditch my cross colors outfit....lol. The 90's was an unbelievable era, the fashion, music and just vibe was sick. There will never be another Jordan, Tommy Hilfiger will never be that dope and hip hop will never be that hot, but there is always youtube... Oh yeah, i'm taping my sets from now on.

P.S. Puffy did fuck it up for all of us, but he did it with style, and a shiney suit...lol, I personally was hooked on the Wu 92-99... 97 Mentailty homie

DJ M.O.S. said...

why does eric b remind of silent bob. I think i'm delirious

I AM GVG® said...

"Puffy did fuck it up for all of us, but he did it with style, and a shiney suit"

"eric b remind of silent bob"

Funniest, Yet truest shit I’ve heard all week. You realize from now on I will forever see Eric B as Silent Bob, right?

GVG
~we’re the warriors they write epics about~

ShareThis