Thursday, February 28, 2008

HISTORY WITNESSED: Q TIP, COMMON, AND KRS ONE ROCK THE SMIRNOFF SIGNATURE MIX EVENT



About two weeks ago, I read the blurb below on Miss Info’s blog:

"Smirnoff and Cornerstone Promotions are making art and commerce work together for our benefit. To promote the new Smirnoff Signature Mix drinks, they've commissioned Common and Just Blaze to remake "The Light," Q-tip and Cool n Dre to remake Tribe's "Midnight," and KRS One and DJ Premier to remake "Criminal Minded. All of the artists will be performing their classics live at the Smirnoff/Cornerstone launch party on Feb, 26th."

YES! YOU AND I BOTH READ IT RIGHT!!! I READ IT THREE TIMES TO MAKE SURE!

Then a mass e-mail was immediately sent out to ALL my insider friends with the subject “WHO KNOWS THE DETAILS ON THIS?! WE NEED TO BE IN THIS ROOM!!!!” A few phone calls later and I had all the info I needed. Thanx to all that got back to me ASAP on this one.

I showed up considerably earlier than I normally do for most things just because I didn’t want to deal with any BS or miss any parts of this history-making event. I’m a huge hip-hop (music as a whole) fan and quality performers, but with a mild case of Claustrophobia, I’m not a big crowd’s person so I tend to stay away from concerts except for very very special exceptions – this being one of them. I’m a HUGE fan of Tribe, Common, and the #1,2,3,4,5 spot holder – KRS ONE. This night was a dream come true.

I was fortunate enough to get there and IN early enough to witness common, KRS-One and DJ Premiere doing their soundcheck from the an ideal balcony spot that was directly in front of the stage. I thought this would have been the best part of the show – God was I mistaken. I’m not going to give you a long min by min recap. Except to say Common and KRS – One tore down the house, then rebuilt it in their likeness. I just wrote this so I could post the video clips from Mikey Fresh’s blog. ENJOY///

A very special thanx to Eliza Doolittle for making this experience happen for me and sharing it with me as well. ;)

Also a very very special thanx to the staff of Element that always takes great care of me and the special ladies of Cornerstone Promotions – you know who you are.

HIP HOP LIVES!!! TURN UP YOUR SPEAKERS!!!

GVG
~riding with this Hip-Hop thing till the wheels fall off~

P.S. Who else but Common could make a song and Video about a straight up freaky rock star orgy come across like a plausible savior of us as a people?!

Common freestyling…


Q-tip performing “Midnight 2008″….



KRS-One performing “South Bronx”….


Q-tip “Excursions”….


Q-tip “Can I Kick It”….


Common “Go”….


Common “The People”…..


Common “Testify”….


KRS-One freestyle…


KRS-One “Step Into”….


KRS-One “Classic”….

No comments:

ShareThis